Pallekele: Fast bowlers Mohammed Shami and Hardik Pandya blew away Sri Lanka’s top-order to leave the hosts tottering at 61-4 at tea in reply to India’s 487 on day two of the final Test on Sunday.
India’s Mohammed Shami celebrates with teammates the dismissal of Sri Lanka’s Dimuth Karunaratne on Day 2. AP
Skipper Dinesh Chandimal on 13 and wicketkeeper-batsman Niroshan Dickwella on 14 were at the crease with the hosts still trailing India by 426 runs in Pallekele.
Pace spearhead Shami struck early to get openers Upul Tharanga and Dimuth Karunaratne caught behind for 4 and 5 respectively in the first five overs of the innings.
Kusal Mendis, who tried to stem the rot with some attacking play, was run out by a direct throw at the non-strikers end by Kuldeep Yadav. He made 18 with the help of four boundaries.
Sri Lanka slipped further to 38-4 as Pandya, who smashed his maiden Test century in the morning session, struck with the ball to get former captain Angelo Mathews trapped lbw for nought.
All-rounder Pandya remained the star of the day so far with his 96-ball 108 that propelled India to a challenging first innings total after the visitors resumed on 329-6.
Pandya was out to spinner Lakshan Sandakan on the third ball of the second session as India’s innings ended without adding to the lunch total.
The left-arm unorthodox bowler recorded his first five-wicket haul in Tests while fellow spinner Malinda Pushpakumara took three wickets.
India are eyeing a sweep in the three-match rubber after taking an unassailable 2-0 lead in Colombo.
Published Date: Aug 13, 2017 03:17 pm | Updated Date: Aug 13, 2017 03:17 pm
More from News-Paper.us
- India vs Sri Lanka: Virat Kohli says Mohammed Shami is among ‘top three fast bowlers in world’
- India vs Sri Lanka: Virat Kohli and Co need an early wicket or two to trigger collapse on Day 3
- India vs Sri Lanka: Struggling hosts need to embark on major corrective surgery to arrest rapid decline
- India vs Sri Lanka: Wriddhiman Saha, Hardik Pandya need to consolidate on Day 2 to put visitors back in control
- India vs Sri Lanka: Virat Kohli and Co thump hosts by an innings and 171 runs, complete first overseas whitewash
- India vs Sri Lanka: Hardik Pandya’s fiery ton, Kuldeep Yadav’s inspired bowling put visitors in pole position
- India vs Sri Lanka, 3rd Test: Hardik Pandya’s fireworks, Kusal Mendis’ run-out and other key moments
- Live India vs Sri Lanka, 5th ODI at Colombo, cricket score and updates: Virat Kohli and Co aim for a clean sweep
- India vs Sri Lanka, 3rd Test preview: Very little stands between the visitors and a series whitewash
- India vs Sri Lanka: Dinesh Chandimal says clean sweep by visitors was the ‘worst Test series’ of his career
- Live India vs Sri Lanka, 3rd Test, Day 2 at Pallekele, cricket score and updates: Hosts eye early breakthroughs
- India vs Sri Lanka: From form and skill to selection and leadership, hosts need to start rebuilding quickly
- India vs Sri Lanka: Upul Tharanga asks fans to be patient ahead of limited overs series
- Live India vs Sri Lanka, 3rd Test, Day 3 at Pallekele, cricket score and updates: Visitors inches away from historic whitewash