Benoni: Bangladesh opening batsman Tamim Iqbal was forced to retire hurt with a thigh muscle injury, after facing just 13 balls on the first day of his team’s three-day match against a South African Invitation XI at Willowmoore Park on Thursday.
Bangladesh, after winning the toss, declared at 306 for seven. The Invitation XI were 21 for one at the close.
File image of Bangladesh’s Tamim Iqbal. AP
Tamim, a veteran of 51 Tests and the team’s all-time leading run-scorer, made five runs before leaving the field in the fifth over.
Team manager Minhazul Nanna said the batsman had suffered a strained right thigh muscle. He left the field as a precaution and his condition would be assessed on Friday following a scan.
Bangladesh are already without leading all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan, who is being rested from the two-Test series against South Africa which starts next Thursday.
Mominul Haque, captain Mushfiqur Rahim and Sabbir Rahman made half-centuries for the tourists but Mahmudullah, who is hoping to make a comeback to the Test side after being dropped earlier this year, was out first ball to 19-year-old fast bowler Michael Cohen, who took four for 23.
Scores in brief: Bangladeshis 306-7 declared (Soumya Sarkar 43, Imrul Kayes 34, Mominul Haque 68, Mushfiqur Rahim 63, Sabbir Rahman 58 not out; Michael Cohen 4-23). SA Invitation XI 21-1.
Published Date: Sep 22, 2017 10:20 am | Updated Date: Sep 22, 2017 10:20 am
More from News-Paper.us
- Bangladesh vs Australia, 2nd Test, Day 2 at Chittagong: Live cricket score and updates
- Bangladesh vs South Africa: Tigers have momentum, but will have to surpass their best to topple Proteas
- South Africa vs Bangladesh, 2nd ODI at Paarl: Live cricket score and updates
- South Africa vs Bangladesh, 1st T20I at Bloemfontein: LIVE cricket score and updates
- South Africa vs Bangladesh: Mushfiqur Rahim a puppet at the hands of ‘coaches’ and must step down as captain
- South Africa vs Bangladesh: Tigers eye maiden Test win in Proteas’ backyard despite absence of Shakib Al Hasan
- Bangladesh vs Australia, 1st Test at Dhaka, Day 1, Live cricket score and updates
- South Africa vs Bangladesh: Kagiso Rabada, Keshav Maharaj help Proteas thrash visitors and take 1-0 lead in series
- South Africa vs Bangladesh, 1st ODI at Kimberley: Live cricket score and updates
- Bangladesh vs Australia: Shakib Al Hasan scalps five to give hosts upper hand in first Test
- Bangladesh’s star Shakib Al Hasan requests BCB for 6-month break from Test cricket to refresh his body
- Bangladesh vs Australia: Mushfiqur Rahim, Sabbir Rahman lead hosts’ recovery after Nathan Lyon’s fifer on Day 1
- South Africa vs Bangladesh: Protea bowlers run through hapless visitors to win 2nd Test and series
- Ireland Tri-series: New Zealand ride on Neil Broom-Jimmy Neesham stand to beat Bangladesh by 4 wickets